We tried the spicy rojac vegetable salad in Zenxin farm and we loved it! It was sweet, fruity and spicy! Rojac means ‘mixture’ in Malay, and this is a popular dish in Asia, especially in the Malay counties such as Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. There are many variations of the dish and there is no specific recipe to it, however they all essentially include fruits and vegetables mixed in a thick sauce. The salad was so good that I had to try doing it myself! Here is the recipe—give it a go!
Prep Time: 15 mins
The Rojac Sauce
The salad dressing is a unique sauce and is what gives this salad its special flavor. To prepare it simply mix the following ingredients together and you are good to go!
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 4cm shredded turmeric root, grated
- 4 tbsp shredded palm sugar
- 2 red chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 kg fresh fruit and vegetables—this can include papayas, green mangoes, bananas, apples, pears, and cucumbers, but you can add anything you fancy.
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 12 cubes of deep-fried tofu (optional)
- The rojac sauce
- Cut the fruits and vegetables into cubes
- Add the fried tofu cubes (optional)
- Mix well while adding the rojac sauce
- Sprinkle with the crushed peanuts and sesame seeds
- Serve with toothpicks or forks and enjoy!