- 2 whole red peppers
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Juice from one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Remove the cores from the peppers and slice them into large pieces.
- Lay them skin side up on an oven tray and grill on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until the skin is charred.
- Move these to a bowl, cover and leave to cool 10 to 15 minutes. Once cooled the peppers will be easy to peel.
- Remove and discard the skin. Keep a couple of pieces and slice them thinly for decoration.
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, tahini, ground cumin, cayenne pepper (optional), olive oil, salt and lemon juice to the food processor and process until the ingredients combine and the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add the roasted peppers and process until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the hummus into a bowl and decorate with the leftover slices of pepper.