Make the best Hearty Chicken Soup ever:
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Serving Size: 6
- 1 1/2 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil.
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 1 medium-hot red chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 ounces yellow split peas, rinsed
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- To garnish: Roughly chopped fresh coriander
For more about hypertension (blood pressure) look at Health and Life magazine’s
September 2015 issue
Directions for the Hearty Chicken Soup
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken thighs and drumsticks and brown them on all sides. Once browned, transfer them to a bowl.
- Turn down the heat and add the chili, ginger, and garlic to the pan. Stir occasionally and cook until softened.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander and the split peas and return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes until the split peas are tender and the chicken is separating from the bone.
- Remove the chicken pieces and shred the meat (throw away the skins and bones).
- Add the chicken and the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Season to taste with lemon juice and salt.
- Serve in warm bowls sprinkled with coriander.