Using only natural fruits, nuts and healthy fats, it is possible to make the most delicious, healthy, raw and zingy layered lemon and strawberry cheesecake — Yum! You have got to try it to believe it.
This recipe will make 4-6 individual cheesecakes: delicious layers of strawberry and lemon ‘cheese’ on a sticky, sweet and nutty base. It really is possible to lose weight eating these cakes: their natural ingredients, packed with anti-oxidants and healthy fats, will satisfy your sweet tooth and keep hunger at bay.
You Will Need the Following Ingredients
(Choosing organic where possible is always best for your body)
For the base:
1/2 cup Brazil nuts
1/2 cup desiccated coconut (also called dried flakes)
1 cup of mixed dried dates and dried apricots (seeds removed)
For the ‘cheese’:
1 ½cups of cashews (soaked in water overnight)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup of raw honey
The juice of a medium lemon
The finely grated zest of a lemon
1 cup of strawberries (fresh is better but frozen is ok)
For the decoration:
A couple of strawberries to decorate — the first bite is always with the eyes!
Knife and chopping board
High powered food processor or hand-held blender
Cups for measuring and spoons for spooning
Small ‘ramekins’ (little ceramic or glass dishes to make individual cakes)
How to Make Your Delicious Healthy Cheesecakes
For the base:
- Place the Brazil nuts and the desiccated coconut in your food processor (or a bowl if using a hand-held blender) and blend until roughly chopped.
- Add the dates and apricots one by one and continue processing until the mixture is all chopped up and starts sticking together.
- Press this mixture into ramekins and put into the fridge to chill.
For the ‘lemon cheese’:
- Drain the cashews and throw away the water.
- Put half the cashews, half the coconut oil, half the honey and all the lemon juice in the food processor (or a bowl if using a hand-held blender).
- Blend at high speed until completely smooth (it’s important to get it really creamy).
- Add the lemon zest and mix together (do not blend the zest).
- Taste to see if it is sweet enough for you (you can add a little more honey if you like).
- Spoon the lemon cream into the ramekins (on top of the base) and put them back in the fridge while you make the next layer.
For the ‘strawberry cheese’:
- Put the remaining cashews, coconut oil and honey in the blender (or a bowl if using a hand-held blender) with the strawberries.
- Blend at high speed until completely smooth.
- Spoon the cream into the ramekins on top of the other two layers.
Setting and decoration
- Place your lovely layered cheesecakes into the freezer and leave to set for 4-6 hours.
- You can either devour straight from frozen OR you can move the cheesecakes to the fridge around 1 hour before you want to eat them.
- Decorate your cheesecakes with slices of strawberry for that professional look.
There you go: a truly decadent, and completely guilt free, dessert.
How to Lose Weight with Raw Cakes
These cakes only contain healthy ingredients so you can eat them without guilt — helping to break the guilt/binge cycle. They contain natural sugars combined with protein, fibre and healthy fats, so won’t cause a spike in blood sugar or trigger addictive behaviours. The healthy fats and essential nutrients will help to control your appetite so you won’t overeat.
You can keep some of these mouth-watering cakes in your freezer for ‘emergencies’ — when you are feeling low and would normally turn to something unhealthy, these little wonders will cheer you up in a healthy way. Since they taste delicious and are full of fruit, nuts and wholesome healthy ingredients, you can indulge in these cakes and feel confident that you are treating your body with love.
If you don’t have the time, or inclination, to make these yourself, but want to know just how good a raw cake can taste, we have the solution. We have teamed up with our friends at Raw Middle East, who will do all the hard work for you. Raw ME can deliver the cakes directly to your door, to place an order (minimum of 15 cakes and 24 hours’ notice required) visit their website: www.raw-me.com.
Why not check it out and enjoy a healthy sweet treat?