It’s not easy having curly hair. You wake up in the morning with a weird messy mass on your head, it goes frizzy at the mere hint of damp, and it’s difficult to style. All of which can lead to a self-confidence crisis. But curly hair is gorgeous if it is properly taken care of. So let’s explore some natural remedies to make your curly hair beautiful and easy to manage: hair that puts a spring in your step.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
Hair is made up of three layers and millions of cells, with the upper layer in the cuticle. When the cuticle layer is tightly filled, the appearance of the hair appears smooth and shiny. Frizz occurs when the follicles are separated in a way that they cannot remain straight, resulting in bends and curvatures which make hair look rough and frizzy.
Tips to Tame the Frizz:
- Wash your hair with lukewarm or cool water because hot water causes your hair and scalp to dry out.
- Do not use shampoo more than twice a week. Make sure you use natural shampoo.
- Try not to wrap your hair with a towel, simply cover it with a cotton towel.
- Comb your hair using a comb or brush when it is wet, so it does not dry fluffy.
- Always use hair conditioner. When your hair becomes unmanageable, you can dilute a small amount of conditioner and apply it to the tips. Then comb your hair with your wet fingertips.
- If you artificially or chemically curl, lighten or dye your hair, it leads to moisture loss, dry hair and split ends. Avoid over-styling and coloring, and treat your hair with warm oil like almond or olive to soothe and moisturize.
- Wear a cap while swimming to protect your hair from chlorine, chemicals and strong sunlight, as these all cause hair damage.
- Wet climates can cause moisture loss in hair, which leads to dryness. In this case, using sparkling water in the final rinse may benefit you.
- Get our hair trimmed every three months to keep on top of split ends.
Natural Products for Curly Hair Care:
There are hundreds of curly hair products available on the market—creams, gels, sprays, serums, etc.—and choosing among them can be very confusing. It is safer to avoid products that contain harsh chemicals, particularly parabens which have been linked to hormone disruption and increased cancer risk, and sulfates, which are detergents that strip moisture (and dye) from hair, and irritate sensitive skin. DevaCurl is one of the most effective products for curly hair. All DevaCurl products are 100% free of parabens, silicon and sulfates.
Curly hair can be a challenge, but it is beautiful. Give some of these tips a try for naturally gorgeous, bouncy, defined curls.